MANAGER LEGAL AND COMPLIANCE – UGANDA SECURITIES EXCHANGE LIMITED
Uganda Securities Exchange Limited (“the Exchange”) is the principal stock exchange in Uganda, providing a central place for trading of securities and a credible platform for companies to raise capital, through the issuance of appropriate debt, equity, and other investment instruments. The Exchange provides essential facilities for the private sector and government to raise money for business expansion and enables the public to own shares in listed entities.
The Legal and Compliance Department (“the Department”) provides institutional and corporate legal support required by the Exchange and its subsidiaries. It also helps to ensure that all market activities comply with the regulatory framework in place, including operational policies and procedures. Key aspects of the Department’s work include oversight of the Exchange’s regulatory framework, compliance with the Capital Markets Authority’s laws and regulations, review and processing of primary and secondary issues, regulatory oversight of market participants and surveillance of market activities.
The Exchange invites qualified candidates to apply for the role of Legal and Compliance Manager, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, to lead the Department and take on the role of Company Secretary to the Exchange and its Subsidiaries. This position requires a demonstrated knowledge of corporate finance, the ability to work harmoniously in a team and to exercise good judgment and emotional intelligence. The level and quality of these skills will be a determining factor in the selection for the position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership to the Department, supervising and developing capacity of junior staff.
- Perform the role of the Company Secretary of the Exchange and its subsidiaries.
- Lead efforts related to supervisory oversight, and legal surveillance of activities of market participants.
- Draft, review and advise on commercial contracts including NDAs, engagement letters, vendor contracts, and consulting agreements among others.
- Maintain the legal framework of the Exchange including the review, amendment of existing rules and procedures of the Exchange.
- Monitor the effectiveness of established compliance processes and controls internally and externally and recommend and implement enhancements and changes.
- Build and maintain relationships with the regulators, market participants, and issuers and provide legal guidance wherever required.
- Provide advice on Exchange rules and regulations and interpretive guidance, as well as applicable internal policies and procedures.
- Review and approve applications for primary and secondary offers, disclosures, and any transactions that require Exchange approval.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of the Exchange’s business and activities to ensure adequate legal and compliance oversight.
- Advise the Board, management, and the business units on emerging legal and compliance issues and act as General Counsel to the Exchange and its subsidiaries rendering advice on laws and policies related to corporate affairs and the securities industry.
- Manage relationships with outside counsel in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Qualified advocate licensed to practice law in Uganda, with a minimum of six (6) years of relevant experience.
General Competencies Required
- An excellent knowledge of corporate and commercial law, and the workings of the Uganda Securities Exchange Limited. Knowledge of capital markets law and policy will be an added advantage.
- Proven ability to identify and help manage legal risk, through sound judgment, determining and escalating risk appropriately, and providing risk-based advice.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to negotiate effectively with internal and external parties and to explain legal concepts to clients.
- Ability to deal sensitively in a highly regulated, fast paced and ever evolving environment and build effective working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Ability to initiate and manage projects, a motivated self-starter and proficient in time management.
Interested candidates are encouraged to email their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Thursday 4th May 2023 by 5:00pm.